This post contains affiliate links.
Have you ever been sitting on your couch, drool encrusted on the side of your face as it rests on a pillow that is wedged between your neck and shoulder . . . as you sit comatose binging Netflix?. . .
All the while, thinking that the only thing that would make this moment more perfect would be. . .sushi?
Oh. I. Have.
And sadly, I didn’t have said deliciousness, AND my fashion situation/general cleanliness did not lend to venturing outside of the 6 foot frame of my couch.
But fret not, my friends, this story has a happy ending.
While I did not have a bra, I did have a few pantry staples . . .and in minutes, I was on the homemade Sushi Wrap train. . .living the high/sedentary life.
This Sushi Wrap can be made in a myriad of ways, with varying veggies and ingredients. Here are a few things to keep in your pantry to make sure you are always equipped to make this comfort food of the Gods.
What To Stash in Your Pantry
- Canned Meats & Fish ( Spam, Chicken, Salmon, tuna, etc. )
- Soy Sauce (I use this for so many things, like my fave asian salad dressing)
- Medium Grain White Rice (it doesn’t get hard like long grain, even when refrigerated)
- Nori Sheets (Roasted Seaweed for making Sushi)
- *Pickled Vegetables ( ie. jarred sweat and tangy red cabbage, radish, ginger, green beans, carrots)
In addition to these staples, try keeping some hardy vegetables that will stay fresh a long time in your fridge for occasions like this. Some of my favorites are. . .
- cole slaw mix
- sweet bell pepper
- cream cheese
And for the freezer:
- imitation crab meat (my kids favorite)
- favorite lunch meat
*For use if you don’t have any fresh veggies in the fridge
I bet right now, you have some of all of these ingredients. So let’s get started!
Easy Sushi Sandwich Wrap
This recipe takes to customization! I’ve made these wraps for school lunches (Wrapped in plastic wrap, they are very portable!). On this particular day I used tuna, but I could have just as easily used Spam, lunchmeat, or Salmon. The options are endless!
Here’s a TikTok of me making this wrap. . .so you can quickly see the method. . .
- Nori Sheets
- Canned Tuna, drained
- Mayonaise (to taste, I used about 1 TB)
- Cooked rice (I like medium grain, it stays soft even when refrigerated after being cooked)
- Cream Cheese
- Cucumber, sliced
- Carrots, sliced or julienned
- In a small bowl, mix drained tuna with 1 TB of mayo. Mix well, set aside.
- Place the Nori onto a flat surface. With scissors, make an incision halfway up the middle of the Nori Sheet, as if you were going to cut the sheet into half, but decided to stop halfway through the cut.
- Now envision the sheet being divided into 4 quadrants, and start by placing a dollop of rice into the top right quadrant. Place a small amount (2 tsp) of the tuna mixture on top.
- Onto the bottom left quadrant, spread a heaping TB of Cream Cheese.
- Onto the top left quadrant, add sliced cucumber.
- Finally, onto bottom right quadrant, add carrots.
- To wrap it all up, begin with the bottom left quadrant (cream cheese), and careful flip upward onto the top left quadrant (cucumber), then flip over to the top right quadrant (rice), and finally down to the bottom right quadrant (carrots). And now you have a Sushi Sandwich Wrap! Enjoy!