Such a simple thing.
A loaded baked potato. A warm, nourishing, meal in a naturally packed container! The world loves them, it’s a wonder why we don’t eat them warm for lunch more often.
Maybe it’s because they come off as not very portable, and the type of meal that takes a bit of time to make.
But. . .it doesn’t have to.
I pulled this lunch together for my family, in 20 minutes tops! And I was making 6 complete meals!
Here’s My Tips For Pulling it Together Quick!
- Skip the oven, and cook your potato in minutes in the microwave. You can even nix the oil. By steaming it this way, you ALSO save on calories!
- Use a thermos to take along! Cut into smaller bites, load into your thermos for warm keeping. Bonus! It makes it easier (less messy) to eat!
- Use already prepared toppings to load onto your potato! Pre-cooked bacon, pre-grated cheese, Soup (broccoli and cheese) pre-made in your grocers deli, that you can just drizzle on top!
- Once the potato is piping hot, remove it from the microwave, load it into your pre-warmed thermos! TO WARM THERMOS – ADD boiling hot water to the empty thermos, sealing it closed, and allowing it to sit for 2 minutes. Then pour the water out, right before adding your food.
- Instead of trying to make it look like a traditional loaded baked potato, think of it like a loaded baked potato casserole! Cut the the potato into more manageable pieces, and layer with all the fixings just like a casserole. That way you get gooey cheese, smoky bacon, and creamy sour cream in every bite!
Check out my YouTube Video to see how I pulled it all together. Keep scrolling to see the recipe and full instructions on how to use the microwave to make your baked potato at rapid speeds at 5:00 am!
Cozy Warm Baked Potato For Lunch!
Roasted traditionally in the oven, or rapidly in the microwave, your belly will thank you!
(In case you’re wondering. . .this is the same brand and size Thermos’ we use. It’s my favorite. Ours is pretty old, and I don’t think they sell the exact style anymore. But that’s good news, because they last a really long time!)
- Medium Sized Baking Potato, washed
- Hot water, for warming your thermos
- Pre-cooked bacon, crumbled
- Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions, chopped finely
- Once your potatoes are washed and scrubbed (removing all foreign matter i.e. dirt) prick 6 times all over with a fork.
- Place potato into a medium sized microwaveable bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Flip and cook for 3 minutes longer.
- While the potato is cooking, pour hot water to the top of your empty thermos. Seal with lid, and wait 2 minutes.
- Remove cooked potato from microwave and allow to cool for a few minutes, as it will be too hot to handle. When you are able to safely touch the potato, slice into about eight smaller pieces.
- Pour water out of the thermos and begin layering your meal. Start with potatoes on the bottom, add a layer of all your favorite toppings, another layer of potatoes, toppings, and continue until your thermos is loaded up.
- Quickly replace the lid, so all the heat remains inside, and in a few hours you will be enjoying the most delectable warm loaded baked potato lunch!
Want something colder in your Thermos? Try my Ultimate Green Smoothie! It’s a favorite for lunch around my house!