Don’t shake your head at me.
I know I have included three recipes here, and it hardly seems that three recipes is something that you would even consider making at 5 am in the morning when you are trying to get ready for work.
I hear you.
BUT. . .OMG. . .THESE ARE SO EASY.
You could literally do them with your eyes closed.
And they take like barely 5 minutes a piece, and that’s only if you don’t know where any of the ingredients are in your house and you have to hunt them down.
But try your fridge first. I bet they arethere.
Then go in your freezer, and pull out your handy dandy pre-cooked grilled chicken, and we are in business baby. This will be the best sandwich you’ve had in ages, even better than if you had gone to your favorite Vietnamese cafe.
Try it. At 5 am. You won’t regret it, and you’ll be so proud of yourself for being awake enough to light your world on fire. Literally, if you add the raw jalapenos.
Want to see the YouTube 5 am version. Check it out here. . .or keep scrolling for the recipe.
Easiest Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sub Sandwich)
Banh Mi Ingredients:
French Bread (baguette)
Grilled Chicken (I used freezer pre-cooked for fast prep)
Garlic Aioli (recipe below)
Pickled Cole Slaw (recipe below)
Raw Jalapeno, sliced (optional)
*Assorted raw chopped Vegetables (Cilantro, carrots, cucumber, red onion,)
*every Banh Mi I have had at a restaurant has included raw sliced jalapeno. Very delicious! But my kids would not like that, so I substituted red onion instead, for the kinder bite that it has:)
Garlic Aioli Ingredients:
1 cup Mayo (I used Avocado Oil Mayo)
1 TB Dijon Mustard
1 TB Lemon Juice
3 tsp Garlic, diced (I used jarred)
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Garlic Aioli Instructions:
1. Into a 2 cup bowl, add mayo, mustard, lemon juice and garlic. Stir to mix well. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Set aside until ready to use on sandwich.
Quick Pickled Cole Slaw Ingredients:
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2-6 TB sugar (depending how sweet you like it, today i did 6 TB)
1 tsp salt
1 Large bag Raw Cole Slaw (no dressing added)
Quick Pickled Cole Slaw Instructions:
1. Into a small, microwaveable bowl (should hold at least 2 cups liquid) add vinegar, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
2. Microwave for about 2 minutes, or until it starts to boil.
3. While the vinegar is cooking, into an empty and clean old pickle jar, stuff Cole Slaw. Set aside.
4. Once the vinegar mixture boils, remove from microwave and pour into Cole Slaw Jar. Place lid on top and refrigerate until ready to use.
In the mood for an old school lazy summer day submarine sandwich? Check out this blast from the past. . .