Good Day Everyone!
Well, I must say, it has been a doozy of a week for us here in the Woo household. Covid-19 has hit our little town with a bang! And not in a good way.
My kids still attend school in-person, and this week we’ve had the most cases that we’ve had all year. 16 total at the HS. Which means any person who has come into close contact with these individuals, has to quarantine. Right now about 1200 in the entire school district quarantining. I have one kid in quarantine at home with us for the next 14 days, and another that was a really close call (but she gets to return back to school Monday).
And Oh! If my anxiety weren’t high enough, my husband caught a head cold, and decided to act as if he was dying as a result. This single development has put me in a tailspin.
First, he coughed once. I looked at him sideways.
Then he coughed twice, and I gave him a look from he**.
Then he left the room, came back in with a heavy coat on, winter cap, long pants (which he never wears inside) and I literally thought I was going to kill him. He’s a bit of a drama queen, and I match his theatrics with my own Drama King foibles. I try not too, but I get mad when I’m nervous and scared. And I was. I was not the kindest person to him. I wasn’t the meanest, but not the kindest. His drama is something I’m working on.
He did go get a Covid test (for me, because I begged, ordered him to), and he’s feeling much better now! So all the worry was for nothing! In the meantime, I made chicken and dumplings (because I love him so much and want him to be in tip top shape) and I made this Lemon Honey Cough Syrup, to ease his poor dramatic congested, stuffy, heart.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Lemon and honey are so good for you, not only when your sick, but ALL THE TIME!
Honey is high in antioxidants, helps to lower cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure, helps SUPPRESS coughs, and much more.
Lemons have a ton of health benefits too! Loaded with Vitamin C to help fight colds and reducing phlegm and loosening congestion, as well as supporting heart health, respiratory health, preventing kidney stones, helping to ward against cancer, control weight, protect against anemia, and improve digestive health!
So see! This elixir is worth a shot. On taste alone it’ll convince you!
There are lots of ways to use this Syrup.
- To sweeten and flavor you tea, hot or cold. I add about 2 TB and a slice of lemon from the jar.
- Add a little more (say 4 TB) or to taste, to 6 oz. hot water to make it a tea, all in of itself.
- Take 2 tsp. of the Syrup straight up, to ease an angry cough and loosen congestion.
Here’s a video of how I put it all together, and below that, is the written “recipe”.
Lemon Honey Cough Syrup for Colds and Daily Wellness
What You Need:
Large Glass Jar with lid (pickle jars work well)
7 Medium Sized Lemons (Meyer are my favorite, but any variety work well)
16 Oz. Honey (I use Local Honey)
- Slice ends off the lemons. Discard.
- Slice the remaining lemon body into thin rounds. Place in jar until the lemons reach the top.
- Pour honey over lemons until all the fruit is submerged. You may need to use a knife to help the thick mixture weave its way down into the crevices between the slices.
- Refrigerate for 6 hours. Then add to your tea, take as a cough syrup, or make it into a tea all on its own by adding it to hot water.
If you love this Lemon Honey Syrup, you should try this Ginger Turmeric Tea with a tablespoon or two of this sweet tangy concoction!