We went to the beach this week for a mini-vacation and one last hoo-rah before school starts. We thought we’d surprised the kids like they do in the Walt Disney commercial. The kids wake up on Christmas morning, open their presents. . .and then the parents announce “We’re going to DISNEYLAND!!!!” And everybody starts screaming and crying and the whole world couldn’t be any better. That’s how I thought our rendition would turn out. And it remotely did, for like 30 seconds. . . .
But then they remembered. . . . .we have a dog, who they wouldn’t get to see for 1 whole day.
The trip got worse before it got better.
Soledad found two little girls to play with at the beach. One was 5 and the other 2. Her new friends got on every nerve I have. They ate all our snacks and tried to destroy our sand castle 49 times. The were annoying as all get out, and couldn’t stop talking to save their lives.
“Where were their parents?” You might ask. Playing in the sand and water. Probably having a date while Warwick and I watched their kids.
Shelbi: Mommy. Just take them back to their parents. Tell them they lost their kids.
Me: Umm. I don’t think they lost their kids. Look. . .they’re right over there. They keep looking at us and smiling.
Shelbi: JUST TAKE THEM BACK. They are ruining everything.
Me: I think that would be rude. That feels rude.
Shelbi: They are the one’s being rude, not you.
Me: Okay. Then you bring them back. I think it comes better coming from a kid.
Shelbi: I’m not bringing them back. Let Soledad bring them back.
Soledad walks over. Agrees to a plea bargain, allowing her to keep the 5 year old girl. She returns the two year old to her parents, and we decide to only stay at the beach 30 minutes longer, and head to the pool.
Do you think it would have been rude for me to return those kids back to their sunbathing parents? I don’t know. Feels rude.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – — – – – – – – – – –
Salt water and staying in a hotel always makes me want yummy Chinese food. or burgers and fries. ice cream and popsicles.
and cola gummies.
You’d think it’d make me want SEAFOOD. Oh well. No matter.
Up on the block today. Chinese Food, in honor of our 1 1/2 day beach vacation.
We ate this on return from the beach. Or was it before we went to the beach. I can’t remember.
Anyway, it was superb. And my kiddos ate it all up, and even commented that they LOVED snow peas. Crazy. They asked to have it again next week. And I’ll make it again. Because it took like 20 minutes to prepare and it’s super healthy. Can’t beat that with a stick.
Rice Noodles with Mixed Vegetables and Beef Strips
2TB canola oil
6 cups of fresh vegetables (I used ready prepared packages of Broccoli, Carrots, and Snow Peas)
3/4 – 1 pound beef, chicken, or shrimp (we used left over beef strips, already cooked from another meal)
3 TB Soy Sauce
2 TB Fish Sauce, optional
1/2 cup water
4 TB sugar
3 TB chicken stock
1. Prepare noodles according to package directions.
2. To a large skillet, add oil and heat on medium high. Add vegetables. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove lid, and cook 3-5 minutes longer. Remove from skillet.
3. Add beef strips. Cook for 2 minutes on each side (If using chicken make sure it’s cooked thoroughly. Cook approx. 6 minutes. If using shrimp, cook just until it turns pink about 1-2 minutes) Remove from skillet.
4. Add soy sauce, fish sauce, water, sugar and stock to the hot skillet. Stir until it begins to boil and all sugar is dissolved. Add noodles, toss. Add vegetables and meat. Toss. Drizzle with more fish sauce. Serve warm or at room temperature.