Ruh-Ro. There is something odd growing from our “watermelon” plant. It’s yellow, and has a longish neck. It kind of looks like yellow squash. But, I could be wrong, maybe there is a really yummy, juicy watermelon variety that is yellow and looks like a squash. Right? No? Huh.
I really thought I had mad MacGyver skillz, as I roamed the plant nursery searching for plants that weren’t labeled. It was like I was a botonist in training, and could identify plant species just by a mere glance. Maybe not. Sorry kids.
Oh well, Yellow Squash for everyone! The children are looking at me with frowns on their faces, whilst tapping their toes on the tile floor. They are not amused.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Well, let’s get hoppin’ trying to find recipes for all this squash we are about to have. We’ll try Quesadillas. Everything taste better with cheese.
*The key to getting my kids to eat these, is roasting the vegetables. It makes for a more tender sweet veggie, that easily combines with the cheese to make delectable dinner.
Vegetable Garden Quesadillas
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
2 yellow summer squash, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
6 whole wheat tortillas (whole wheat)
2 cups reduced fat shredded cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle vegetables with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to distribute oil and seasoning.
2. Spread veggies onto a baking sheet in a single layer.
3. Roast in oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until vegetables begin to turn slightly golden and are tender.
4. Coat a medium sized skillet with cooking spray, and place one tortilla inside. Spread a thin layer of cheese over the tortilla, and cover with a single layer of vegetables. Spread another thin layer of cheese over the vegetables, and top with the second tortilla.
5.Cook on medium high until golden. About 2 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Cut each quesadilla into 6 triangles with a pizza cutter.