Easy King Cake made with
Previously posted on NickiWoo.com
1 can reduced fat biscuits (16 oz.)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 can fruit pie filling, optional
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese mixed with 1 cup powdered sugar, optional
Cream Cheese Prepared Icing
3/4 cup coarse sugar, divided into 3 parts and colored yellow, green and purple with liquid food coloring
King Cake Baby or a bean
1. Preheat oven to 325. Line a baking sheet with parchment, aluminum foil or silicone baking sheet. Set aside.
2. Open biscuit can, and gently knead all the biscuits together to form one uniform piece of dough. About 12 inches in length.
3. In a small bowl, mix together butter and cinnamon. Spread evenly over dough.
4. Drop spoonfuls of pie filling and cream cheese mixture all over the dough, if using.
5. Starting on the long side of the dough, roll into a cylindrical shape. Form into a circle and pinch tightly to seal. Place on baking sheet.
6. Bake at 325 for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Let cool slightly, and then spoon prepared icing over the cake so that it melts and becomes a thick glaze. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
8. When the cake has cooled, insert the baby or bean on the underside of the cake discreetly. Whomever gets the baby Jesus has good luck for the rest of the year, and has to bring the King Cake next year!