And the winner is. . ..
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in the next 48 hours to collect your prize, or another winner will be chosen.
Reprinted from TORTILLAS TO THE RESCUE COOKBOOK © 2012 by Jessica Harlan. Permission from Ulysses Press.
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1 1/4 pounds Italian sausage (turkey or pork), casings removed
1 large egg
1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
10 small (6-inch) corn tortillas, or as needed
1 pound frozen chopped spinach, thawed, excess water squeezed out
2 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (1 pound)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, cumin, chipotle powder, 1/2 teaspoon of the the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat, breaking it up into small chunks, until browned through, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat, drain the excess fat, and set aside.
3. While the tomato sauce and sausage are cooking, lightly beat the egg in a medium bowl. Stir in the ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
4. Spray a medium baking dish (about 11 x 7 inches) with cooking spray. Spread a spoonful of tomato sauce over the bottom of the pan. Dip 3 Tortillas in the cooled tomato sauce, and tearing to fit, line the bottom of the pan.
Spread about half the ricotta mixture over the tortillas, then sprinkle with half of the spinach, half of the sausage, and about 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Create more layers with more dipped tortillas torn to cover the mozzarella cheese, the remaining ricotta cheese mixture, and the sausage and spinach.
Sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Create a third layer of dipped tortillas. Spoon the remaining sauce over the tortillas to cover, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and the remaining tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve hot.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – –