Because the baby is quickly turning into a toddler and wants only grown-up food.
Because yesterday I just realized that Soledad’s nail is coming off. All the way off.
Because Bella is a sweet angel who often gets caught in the destructive misfire of her siblings shenanigans.
Because Shelbi is growing up so fast, that I want to stop and just freeze this moment.
Because Warwick is a little bossy, but probably gets as good as he gives.
And because, I’m hoping today I won’t completely lose it and go running down the street in my underwear, wild hair flying in the wind, screaming “STOP SAYING MY NAME!!!” It could happen. I’ve thought about it.
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
I think food is God’s way to say, “Let’s take a time out”. Time to eat and nourish ourselves, enjoy the lovely colors on our plates, to be silent and absorb all the beauty that surrounds us.
Whenever it gets a little crazy around here, which you might have guessed is often, I try to bake or make some type of food that will bring us all together. Today it was Muffins. Sweet. Soft. Comforting.
These are so good, you can have them for breakfast, dessert, or a snack. And with the added carrots and applesauce, you can feel good about eating them too.
Healthy, Delicious Carrot Muffins
makes about 24 muffins
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
4 carrtots, grated
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup lemon juice or zest and Juice of 2 lemons
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup canola oil
4 eggs, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin pans with paper liners.
2. In a medium sized bowl combine carrots, lemon juice, peel, and applesauce. Mix, and set aside.
3. In another medium sized bowl, stir together, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Next, add the oil and eggs and stir until there are no visible lumps.
4. Add carrot mixture to batter, and stir to combine.
5. Pour batter into muffin liners and bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 24 minutes.
6. Cool muffins on wire racks. Eat!!!!!!